Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 13: 18 July--Farewell Dinner & Xintiandi

As I've completed my essay to be submitted to Fudan by today's dinnertime, I venture out to Qipu Lu with some others who were also done writing for some shopping. Tt place really is wad like the locals said, a wholesale place. It's not exactly like a mkt, cos the shop concept was tt all the shops are located in 1 building. The locals called it the wholesale place cos according to them, many items there are selling at wholesale price. But to me, it doesn't seem to be so. Most shop's prices are quite equivalent to those in the shopping centre. But I was quite surprised fr the shop's selling concept..they don't allow customers to try on the clothes as they claimed that the prices are alr at wholesale pr, v cheap. If wanna try, u gotta buy the clothes 1st, bring to the public toilet and try one. If don't like or not fitting, the shop can exchange it for sth else. But as I wasn't sure abt the trustworthiness on the shopkeeper's words, I insisted on trying 1st in the shop b4 i made any purchase. Aft much haggling with them, the shopkeeper relented and allowed me to try. But as all shops in Qipu Lu don't have a fitting room, I had to try on clothes in a store room. Worst, for stalls tt don't have a store room, they juz raised a cloth and hold it there for me while I tried on the clothes. My god!! It's really quite an experience!

Just aft 2hrs of shopping, all of us were tired and decided to head back early to our hotel to rest as we needa to dress up for 2nite's farewell dinner, hosted by Fudan. For me, instd of sleeping, I did some packing up as I knew I wouldn't have much time left to pack at night since I planned to be out clubbing/pubbing. By 6pm, all of us met at the lobby and went to the Deja Vu restaurant tog. The restaurant was so posh, tt was beyond our imagaination as we didn't expect Fudan to give us such lavish treats. Dinner was a 4-course Western set. Certificates were given out to us during dinner as well for the recognisation of our participation in this prog. Before dinner ended, we had some song and dances. Mostly songs actually..and I was sabo to sing for everyone. Actually, I dunno how the "rules" changed, it became fr the initial just 1 person to sing to having 1 person fr each cty to sing. As I don't know much songs given I'm alwys listening to classical or instrumental music, I'm quite glad tt 1 gal was having her 21st b'day tt day, hence, I cld sing her Happy B'day. Phew! Else it was so embarrassing when I've to go up and sing some "rubbish".

Dinner ended abt 10+pm and tt's when the partying begins. However, on the way back to our hotel, we heard news tt a typhoon will be hitting Shanghai tt evening. I was quite scared when I heard tt news tt I begun sms-ing bros to check out the latest news for me. I was afraid of the lurking danger tt accompanied the typhoon. I'm juz scared tt if I go clubbing tt nite and if a typhoon really hit Shanghai, there bound to be chaos which makes it v dangerous. So I was in 2 minds--should I stay back in the hotel to party with the other 2 gps or go out clubbing with the last gp. I was so undecided tt I only made up my mind aft going back to the hotel to google the latest typhoon news. Partly, my fright was cos the sky tt nite was so red and thunderous plus we felt winds tt've never been so strong. But aft some reading, I decided to go out clubbing, aft assuring myself it shld be safe for tt nite.

We headed out at abt 12:30am, getting the lobby staff to call in 3 cabs for us to bring us to Xintiandi. We got the 3 cabbies to coordinate tog so tt all the cabs cld follow behind 1 another. We 1st went to a club tt was at the top of a shopping centre. N i really cldn't tolerate the noise up there. The music's SO LOUD tt I had to grab a tissue paper and stuff it into my ears. The most disturbing part was the lighting. I cldn't tolerate flashing lights in such darkness at club. Ok I know club are likett but at least I wasn't tt prepared for it to turn out tt way. Just aft 0.5hrs inside the club, 5 of us left, me with 4 other guys, while the 6 gals remained behind. Quite ironic actually, cos it shld be all the gals leaving. Anw, the 5 of us headed to a french pub for a quieter environment and had some drinks there till abt 3am then we headed back to Fudan. So by the time I bathe n packed, it was alr 4am!

Tt nite, it's quite an experience to see how Shanghai nite life is like. Apparently, it's mentioned tt Shanghai nite life is more lively than S'pore's but I think otherwise. Cos at abt 2am, the entire street which houses pubs wld have died down quite considerably. Only the clubs were the still functioning one. Hence, I tink actually S'pore nite life is much better.

Drinks at a French Pub Sights at Xintiandi (a pub/club area)
Waiting for our 3 cabs to coordinate All 40 of us!

Farewell Dinner @ Deja Vu:




4-course set dinner: Salad, Salmon & Mushroom Soup, Steak, Apricot Tarts My dinner table Getting our certificates

At the hotel lobby: At Qipu Lu:

Outside Qipu Lu

Xiaolongbao lunch

No comments: